Monday, April 27, 2026

Y4S2

As always, subjective perspective & experiences!! Feel free to lmk if some perspectives are more universal or different from my current perspectives though :) Okay, let the incoherent yapping begin -

Naturally, the past semester had me feeling anxiousness, excitement and also grief.

My semester was mostly spent on fulfilling my fungi biology TA responsibilities and LSM4351's requirements. Also sat in for around 4 lectures for 2 other modules haha. Applied for jobs every now and then too. I had more time for non-academic activities (and also for procrastination, oops)

As most people were occupied with their final year projects (fyps) and we were taking different/less modules, there weren't many opportunities for cohort mates to see one another except during career related events or with intentional planning. Sometimes I felt that I couldn't fully relate to the convos about fyps as I wasn't doing any research project concurrently - kinda similar like how when I did urops in y3, there wasn't a "I can relate without explaining" feeling sometimes. Though some aspects are relatable like how data takes a lot of effort and time, sometimes some data don't get used to analysis, etc.

To end things off, a summary-ish of my uni experience. Sarting from aspects that may or may not be associated with age, stereotypes, then general tips and gains from uni.

Benefits that may or may not be associated with age

  • Grade wise
    • Possibly less stressed over grades as the value of them is seen a little differently
  • Familiarity with crafting enquiry emails
    • But now one could argue that Google and AI can teach this LOL
  • Self-assurance
    • Going in with some and leaving with increased confidence that things will work out somehow. Cause you're already not doing things "the usual way", and you've came this far so you will be able to catch yourself. And now you're further supported by increased exposure/experience, know more people/opportunities, can re-evaluate what type of staff you would be/want to be
  • Work experience was useful for my CCA's garden??
Challenges that may or may not be associated with age
  • Social wise
    • Y1 was tough and I felt most bonded with batch mates in Y3-Y4S1 as our interests become more streamlined
      • Could be from not knowing others beforehand: I worked right till right before school began and am not the type to join orientation camps
      • Could be from our larger cohort size so there'll be a longer filtering process
      • I mostly don't plan modules with friends, and my final decision is usually interest/dependent on other mods I have to prioritize
    • May have different perspectives & expectations of what a friend is like
      • As at times, I was operating on "friendships after graduation" mode than "friendship while in school" mode
    • May feel that you can't really talk about school with same age friends who were working full-time as you're less likely to naturally get "me too" response (if that's what you're looking for). I think that it would be nice to have known more older students - apart from my brother, 1 batchmate & 2 ex-colleagues who joined uni later
  • Having reduced purchasing power unless you continue to generate income through some means
    • The shift in value of money from working FT to not working was WOW to me. Friends of similar age eventually got that I am on a student budget after a while, so I'm extra thankful for that
  • Math ability might be extra rusty...
  • Refer to "Y1S1" entry for a push to enter uni regardless
If you're stereotyping oneself based on age
  • It's definitely not about the number at the end of the day because no one will outright ask. And if they do find out somehow, it's often either a very shocked I-cannot-tell response, or a very chill acknowledgement of the tidbit, or "Oh what were you doing before"?
  • About whether we can hit off with people of various ages, or if age is a matter - I think that it's often about the mentally of individuals/lenses that we individually see through having experienced our own unique lives, that matter more. It's not always that being older means we've experienced more of all aspects of life or that we're pros of something, nor does being younger means that one is less experienced.
  • Fear of failure is probably regardless of age. Most people would be experiencing uni's academic challenges for the first time, so everyone needs to cut ourselves some slack. To not fall into the traps of "you should know by now" or "you should get it right the first time"
    • The traps are easy to fall into when the education system supports that, e.g. when we don't often get to reattempt things or get more practice and need to perform within a limited time. It's not really a healthy mindset to cultivate for the long journey of life and work imo
    • Of course, there are some educators and modules that support reattempts/reviews, application over memorizing, and reflections - which I totally support
  • The anxiousness of entering workforce (again) is regardless of age
  • Social things would probably work out fine. You may end up speaking and behaving like your fellow younger peers. It's just natural (cause that's how social circles work, imo at least). You may also unexpectedly have many stickers on your laptop and more squishy/fluffy keychains than ever
General tips for uni
  • Timetable planning tips
    • Balance between mods that can be SU-ed vs cannot SU-ed, Finals vs CAs, Lower-level mods vs higher-level mods,
    • Consider grades vs interest,
    • Avoid having 2191 (start early advice is real regardless) with heavy report writing mod (urops/fyp)
    • Consider workload. 20-22 mcs per semester is the average workload for a non-hustler. Aka that was my comfortable load HAHAHA
  • If you've to do CHS mods, trust that your higher-level major mods will be more fun, and fill spaced with UE mods that sound interesting to you
  • If you're from poly and don't have biochemistry, biomolecular experience, you may struggle more with certain modules. As my peers from JC had some pre-requisite knowledge. If need, consider asking for help with assignments and taking bridging modules
  • Have an Excel list of all modules' important dates/submissions & details/ in chronological order for tracking
    • Second half of each semester passes especially fast (~week 8-13), probably due to assignment and finals. So yeahhh plan & execute
    • Helps to read assignment instructions asap even if you're not starting on it straightaway. For better prioritizing with reference to workload and some modules may need research/reflection/mental digestion beforehand
    • Sometimes a "measured best" remind us that it's time to let things gooo
  • Study spots are important!!

Gains from uni
  • Some experience with skimming literature review and writing reports
  • Some lab methods (including how to maintain sanity in lab) and some field methods
  • Appreciation/curiosity for fungi, human-wildlife relations, scientists' optimism (the scientific rigor required!!), conservation solutions, ecology, gender roles/expectations related topics, etc?
  • The difference between being knowledgeable vs being able to convey knowledge
  • The people I met along the way, who supported me in some way and/or inspired me through what they do!
Other realizations
  • How I tend to want to make processes "efficient" and "effective", with a clear goal/outcome. Double-edged sword imo
  • Am still figuring out when it is okay to lower expectations of group work
  • Am still learning about detaching my work (not grade-wise, but effort & time-wise) from my value
  • A sense of curiosity is a remedy for many situations
  • Knowing the limitations of the university setting and going for self-sourced experiences (external internships and volunteering), free external walks (BFF), talks (SYVB, ASM, etc) and festivals (FOB)!

tbh it's really odd to think that 10 years I graduated from poly ago... Though solely looking at time stamps isn't healthy for me because it makes me feel like I'm "behind". Which isn't the case because our personal journeys were never meant to be linear in the first place, the majority (who?) just seems to appear so. Only we can live our lives for ourselves anyways~ For now, I'm looking forward to higher purchasing power, especially for food. I also want to spend my weekends better than during my previous full-time workdays~ 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are spending your weekends better now :)

    ReplyDelete